Feature documentary Radical Age re-writes the script on ageing
December 17, 2018 (Halifax, NS) – A skateboarder, a B-Boy and the world’s oldest working drag queen – these are some of the people we meet in Radical Age, a documentary that follows six people proving it’s never too late to defy convention. The 90-minute film will have its world broadcast premiere on Tuesday, January 1 at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT on VisionTV.
Radical Age, written and directed by Jackie Torrens (Bernie Langille Wants to Know Who Killed Bernie Langille, Free Reins), profiles provocative trailblazers in a series of authentic portraits of later life rebellion and rebirth.
· At 4-feet 11 inches, 70-year old funny and fierce Ann Perez de Tejada is the world’s oldest female mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter
· James “Gypsy” Haake is the world’s oldest working drag queen. At 86 he has no plans to hang up his heels any time soon.
· Following the death of her husband, 84-year-old Helen Lambin transformed her body into an inked canvas with hidden meaning
· 60-year-old Neal “The Dude” Unger continues to test his limits on the skateboard, winning peer approval and serious street cred
· 58-year-old Stephen Leafloor helps kids transform their pain and trauma into dance
· 56-year-old punk singer Zillah Minx still rages at the inequalities of this world 40 years into her career
“Old age ain't for sissies, Bette Davis famously said. That's what I discovered during my time with Zillah, Gypsy, Ann, Neal, Helen and Stephen”, says Torrens. “Whether I was chasing an 85-year-old performer down a parade route, stepping into the fight cage with a 70-year-old or watching a 60-year-old land a frontside boardslide, I had to run hard to keep up with a group of people who have decided to never stop learning, creating, being open, moving, and living.”
An encore will be presented on Vision TV in two parts: Part 1 will air Monday, January 28 at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT; Part 2 will air Monday, February 4 at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. Read more on VisionTV’s show page: http://visiontv.ca/shows/radical-age/.
Radical Age is produced by Tell Tale Productions (Body Language Decoded) in association with VisionTV with support from the Canada Media Fund, The Nova Scotia Film & TV Incentive Fund, and Federal Tax Credits.
VisionTV is Canada’s only English language specialty channel that airs multi-faith, multicultural and family-oriented entertainment programming including hit Canadian and British series, classic Britcoms, and Canadian and American movies. VisionTV is owned and operated by ZoomerMedia Limited (TSXV: ZUM), a diversified multi-media company founded in 2008 by Moses Znaimer, uniquely devoted to creating content, services, and experiences for Canada's 15.8 million people aged 45plus. Accordingly, each year VisionTV is proud to commission original documentaries that focus on topics related to healthy aging. Watch VisionTV on Rogers channel 60, BellTV channel 1161, Bell Fibe channel 1213, Telus Optik 871 or find your channel and the full schedule at VisionTV.ca.
Learn more online:
For more information please contact: